Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Historic Election

I voted for McCain, and tonight he showed true class in his concession speech. We now have a black man as president. I personally think this is amazing. It shows how our country can overlook its racist history. I have to admit that I have been in fear of Obama becoming president (based solely on many of his ideologies). As a Christian, I am willing to forgive and forget his questionable past. Now that he has been elected president, I will be praying for him every night. I hope that when the mantle of authority rests on his shoulders, that he realizes the significance and importance of his position. My prayers will be to bless him with discernment, truth, wisdom and strength.

Tonight I was a poll watcher for the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. As I made my very last phone call as part of this effort, I thought "finally its over". While it has taken much energy, I know that I don't have as much at stake near term as many others. I'm reminded of comments I read recently. Basically, I feel sympathy for those who had hoped for so long to have a marriage and then legally have it taken away. No matter who is right or wrong, I know that thousands of people will be suffering deep emotional pain. I will also be praying for them. I still feel that passing prop 8 was and is important, but I also recognize all people as children of God. I hope to understand how to love others better.

I will also repenting of any heated emotions that I felt or words that I uttered in this battle.

Finally, I am glad to live in California and the United States. I have found raising children among opposition to our beliefs and values to be beneficial. There have been examples and counter examples all around us of why we live the way we do.
For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so...righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.

No comments: