Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Declaration of Independence from Consequences

I put my own spin on an assignment for a course I'm taking on the U.S. Constitution.

When in the course of human events, people make choices that result in painful consequences, and it becomes necessary for society and government to absorb these consequences. It is therefore assumed that the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God should be separated from their consequences.

We hold these truths to be fundamentally self-evident, that all men are created equal, so why should any one man or woman suffer more than another if they make bad choices or participate in activities that put them at personal risk. People are endowed with unalienable Rights, that among these are Eat, Drink and be Merry. Whenever any form of government becomes restrictive in these rights, it is the right of the people to vote entitlements and protections for themselves, so that they might have Safety and Happiness.

There are plenty of excuses why one should not suffer the consequences:
"I didn't know it was wrong"
but if I did know it was wrong: "I didn't realize what would happen",
but if I did know what would happen: "I didn't mean for it to happen",
but if I did mean for it to happen: "I was just joking"
but if I wasn't really joking, it's not my fault because: "My friends dared me." or "Everyone else was doing it" or "I had bad parents" or ...

We the people declare that there will no longer be any consequences to any action and that we can do whatever we want, because people that is the key to happiness. But if it's not the key to happiness...


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: