Friday, March 6, 2009

The Constitution still works - mostly

I've been taking a course on the U.S. Constitution, and while it is tempting to think our country is falling apart, there are still many things that still work. I'll try to make a "glass half full" list.
  • The People can vote the President out within four years (Article II:1)
  • No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States (Article I:9)
  • The People can vote the entire House of Representatives out within two years (Article I:2)
  • The People can vote approximately 1/3rd of the Senate out within two years and the entire Senate out within six years (Article I:3)
  • The People can see what Congress has been doing and how much they're spending (The Congressional Record)[1][2] (Article I:5)
  • Only the House of Representatives can write Bills for raising revenue (Article I:7)
  • No Taxes on imports/exports between States (Article I:9)
  • Criminals cannot escape justice by fleeing to another state (Article IV:2)
  • The trial of all crimes shall be by Jury (Article III:2)
  • "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence." (Article IV:2)

I'm currently looking at the Congressional record, specifically at how they are spending the money. I hope to have some interesting insights soon.

Even though the U.S. President proposes a budget, his constitutional rights are:
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information on the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient (Article II:3)

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: